Are you having a painful experience breastfeeding to the point you are dreading your baby every time he/she needs to feed? Are you interested in breastfeeding even though you’ve had breast surgery in the past? Is your baby not latching, not satisfied, or even losing weight? Don’t give up hope. Our board certified lactation consultants can help you get on the right track.
Interested in renting a breastpump before making a financial commitment to purchasing a breastpump? Or renting a baby scale for daily weight checks at home? Click here for details »
Private 60 minute hands-on session in our North Shore office (16 Stebbins Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310) $200
Private 60 minute hands-on session in your home $250
**Includes UNLIMITED Phone Consults, notes to your pediatrician and OB/GYN, & ONE In-office 30 minute follow up (by appt only in Staten Island and limited areas in New Jersey)
Follow Up Visits
Follow up at home visits $100
(approximately 30 minutes)
Follow Up in North Shore Location $80
(approximately 30 minutes)
Appointments must be made via email or calling 718-ten-toes (24 hour notice is required)
Once you sign up- a questionnaire will be emailed to you that you will need to fill out BEFORE the consultation can be performed.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q. What is a “Board Certified” Lactation Consultant anyway?
A. An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a specialist in breastfeeding with skills to help families from birth through weaning AND
- has completed a minimum of 2500 hours of practice BEFORE becoming certified
- had passed a Board Certification exam with a high level of clinical and theoretical knowledge
- provides evidence-based care
- adheres to a professional standard of practice and code of ethics
The IBCLC credential is the ONLY official, international credential for those offering breastfeeding lactation care and services.
Q. When would I need a Lactation Consultant?
A. Lactation Consultants work with moms on the phone and privately to help assist moms breastfeeding for an assortment of issues i.e. (but not limited to):
If Mom Feels:
- pain in her breasts or nipples
- dread with putting the baby to her breast
- uncertain because she had breast surgery (augmentation or reduction)
- anxious about nursing multiples
- she wants to breastfeed an adopted baby
- she wants to restart breastfeeding after she stopped for a while
- the need for reassurance
If the Baby:
- is colicky, having spit up or reflux
- is not latching onto the breast consistently
- is not satisfied after feedings
- is nursing constantly
- has lost weight, is not gaining weight, or is gaining weight slowly
- needs supplements after breastfeeding
- is frequently crying
- is premature
- has special needs (i.e. cleft lip/palate, etc.)
Q. What happens during a private consultation?
A. After a mom and baby health history is obtained, a feeding is observed in the mom’s home with a breast and baby assessment. Pre and post-feeding baby weights may be required, interpretation of the baby’s intake will be discussed and an individualized and concise plan will be developed. An initial visit usually takes approximately 60 minutes.
Most breastfeeding problems can be overcome with patience, determination, and the right kind of assistance and support. Our Board Certified Lactation Consultants want to help you continue your nursing goals and make it more enjoyable and successful.
Q. Can I purchase any of the tools used during the assessment?
A. All the items used are first-use unopened items and may be purchased or rented (depending on the item). ten toes is a Medela Retailer and Rental Station for breastpumps and other breastfeeding related items. Hospital grade pumps are available for rent with sterile connection kits available for purchase. Baby Scales are also available for rent if desired.